• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nickelback View Post
    , PJC (he will be missed) .
    Not by me. Crappy 4 year PG, IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Dad View Post

Not by me. Crappy 4 year PG, IMO
      Too small in today's basketball world to be a starting point guard. Get's taking advantage of on a regular basis. Seems like a nice kid but we need an upgrade but there are non in sight

Comment

Yes, was only commenting on his basketball. Good person as you say.
        Isn't Brandon Williams a PG or combo guard?

https://247sports.com/Player/Brandon-Williams-84388
        Last edited by Wildcat Dad; 02-10-2018, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Yeah but the problem is we need him on this year's squad. A natural scoring point guard who could drive and finish would open up so many more things for Ayton.

Comment

Originally posted by Zonabmp12 View Post

Yeah but the problem is we need him on this year's squad. A natural scoring point guard who could drive and finish would open up so many more things for Ayton.
            Lol, unfortunately the trade deadline has passed

Comment

Brandon is a point guard

Comment

None of these lineups are good enough to finish in the top 4 of the pac12...it's gonna ve a sad 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Thecatsmeow View Post
                  None of these lineups are good enough to finish in the top 4 of the pac12...it's gonna ve a sad 4 years.
                  What 4 teams will be better than Arizona next year?

I see the argument for Oregon...they will be a Top-10 team all season.

ASSU (who is already falling apart in conference play) loses Holder, Justice and Evans...and doesn't have a Top-50 kid that signed with them for 2018 yet.

UCLA (who can't win under Alford without a "Ball" on the roster) will have a frontcourt full of freshmen.

USC will be decent, but I don't know who will run the point with McLaughlin out (Thornton is a shooter & can't handle the ball).

Stanford will also be decent. Losing Humphrey and Pickens hurts because their 3 commits need time to adjust to the college game & won't make an immediate impact.

All of UW's commits (per 247) are ranked in the triple digits. Utah loses Bibbins, CU loses 3 of their 5 top scorers, Cal loses their entire frontcourt (and has no commits taller than 6'8" to backfill) and we all know that OSU/WSU have no chance to jump Arizona in the standings.

I'll gladly put money on the Cats finishing in the Top-4 in 2018-19...

Comment

Originally posted by KansasCityCats View Post

ASSU (who is already falling apart in conference play) loses Holder, Justice and Evans...and doesn't have a Top-50 kid that signed with them for 2018 yet.

UCLA (who can't win under Alford without a "Ball" on the roster) will have a frontcourt full of freshmen.

USC will be decent, but I don't know who will run the point with McLaughlin out (Thornton is a shooter & can't handle the ball).

Stanford will also be decent. Losing Humphrey and Pickens hurts because their 3 commits need time to adjust to the college game & won't make an immediate impact.

All of UW's commits (per 247) are ranked in the triple digits. Utah loses Bibbins, CU loses 3 of their 5 top scorers, Cal loses their entire frontcourt (and has no commits taller than 6'8" to backfill) and we all know that OSU/WSU have no chance to jump Arizona in the standings.

Miller has talent far and away better than anything of those teams have this year and yet he's found a way to get outcoached by UCLA, UW and Colorado who all have inferior talent levels. What have you seen that will make you believe that Miller will be better than those guys next year when his talent comes back to the pack?

Comment

No way Zo comes back. If Alkins can not get consistent he may stay but I still don't see it. The only way I see anyone transferring is if we get sanctions. There is too much playing time available for someone like Akot or Randolph to leave.

Williams. Randolph. Akot. O'neal. Jeter

Comment

Originally posted by Thecatsmeow View Post

Miller has talent far and away better than anything of those teams have this year and yet he's found a way to get outcoached by UCLA, UW and Colorado who all have inferior talent levels. What have you seen that will make you believe that Miller will be better than those guys next year when his talent comes back to the pack?
                        Hard to blame 100% of those three losses on "coaching".

Rawle shot a combined 10 of 24 in those matchups...and clearly wasn't healthy.

Ayton played his only bad game of the year against UCLA & the Cats handled Colorado in the following matchup.

UCLA doesn't have inferior talent...they were a preseason Top-25 team...and underperformed (like every other Alford team outside of Lonzo's season).

FYI...Miller has NEVER finished outside of the Top-4 in the Pac-12 regular season standings (even in the first year that he inherited a bad team).

Comment

Arizona - Regular Season Champs

While I appreciate that, every single team and coach is judged on what their postseason success is. And we have underperformed in both areas lately.

Comment

Use this year as an example. We have the most talented team by an enormous margin, but we won’t win the league by more than a game or two . The rest of the pac won’t be any worse than this year. Asu might even be better adding cherry, oregon will have more talent than us, and we will lack size and a true pg unless barcello turns into TJ over night. Miller has proven to be a good not great coach without talent. I wouldn’t pick us to win the pac next year but likely 3rd and still a tournament team

Comment

Originally posted by Zonabmp12 View Post

We're always one player short of the perfect team.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
                                Arizona - Regular Season Champs

While I appreciate that, every single team and coach is judged on what their postseason success is. And we have underperformed in both areas lately.
                                And the burning question is why? Why does a six game tournament automatically nullify the hard work that goes into winning a conference championship. I don't buy it and I don't think true basketball fans should either. I do appreciate that the Tourney comes at the end of the season, and many people subscribe to the "What have you done for me lately" mentality. But what's wrong with appreciating and understanding the difficulty of sustaining a major body of work?

Comment

Originally posted by jt3 View Post

And the burning question is why? Why does a six game tournament automatically nullify the hard work that goes into winning a conference championship. I don't buy it and I don't think true basketball fans should either. I do appreciate that the Tourney comes at the end of the season, and many people subscribe to the "What have you done for me lately" mentality. But what's wrong with appreciating and understanding the difficulty of sustaining a major body of work?
                                  Good question.

KU fans still give Bill Self crap for being miserable in the postseason. They usually tank in the Big-12 tournament (despite it being in their backyard)...and Self's only National Championship was handed to him by Calipari...who coached Memphis out of the '08 Title.

Self has an opportunity to win his 14th consecutive conference title...which is ridiculous.

I'd take that kind of dominance with only one championship. At least Kansas fans have a positive outlook on their season until somebody upsets them in March (which is going to occur again this year).

Comment

Good question.

KU fans still give Bill Self crap for being miserable in the postseason. They usually tank in the Big-12 tournament (despite it being in their backyard)...and Self's only National Championship was handed to him by Calipari...who coached Memphis out of the '08 Title.

Self has an opportunity to win his 14th consecutive conference title...which is ridiculous.

I'd take that kind of dominance with only one championship. At least Kansas fans have a positive outlook on their season until somebody upsets them in March (which is going to occur again this year).
                                    Exactly

(I'm only adding words because one-word answers don't appear to be permissible)

Comment

I said in my post that I do appreciate the conference success. But we had a HOF coach who got Arizona to the highest level here, and why is that wrong to want it again? If we want to be judged a program in the top tier of schools - it's FF's and titles that count.

And I would trade our 15 conference banners for our 5th FF any day.
                                      Last edited by Deb; 02-16-2018, 12:51 PM.

Comment

I'd rather be Gonzaga, where Mark Few continues to win & engages his fans with excitement on an annual basis...than be Arkansas, who hasn't won a conference title since their National Championship 24 years ago.

Comment

I said in my post that I do appreciate the conference success. But we had a HOF coach who got Arizona to the highest level here, and why is that wrong to want it again? If we want to be judged a program in the top tier of schools - it's FF's and titles that count.

I appreciate the mentality--it is what is is. But I don't get why either outcome need be exclusive of the other. Appreciate the bird-in-the-hand.

Comment

View college basketball like playing an old classic Nintendo video game: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out.

Winning the regular season is like beating Bald Bull...good progress, you can feel great about yourself, but that's not nearly enough once you get used to it. Winning the regular season and Pac12 tourney is like getting past Mr Sandman. Now you're getting somewhere!

However, it is really frustrating if you do it over and over but can't beat Super Macho Man (getting to Final Four), yet alone get to face Mike Tyson (national champion). That's Arizona in a nutshell. We beat Mike Tyson in 1997 and got to play him again a few years later, but since then we have trouble getting to play Super Macho Man.

That's the relative frustration of the fan base, the video game progression and perceived backtracking. Compare that to ASU, which hasn't beaten Glass Joe in years and is suddenly getting past King Hippo...they are excited about the progress, where we'd be on suicide watch if the roles were reversed.

I enjoy winning the Pac12 regular season, even more winning the Pac12 tourney, but I confess I do tend to live a bit more for that March Madness and the chance to plant a fist on Mike Tyson's kisser.

Comment

Originally posted by somethingsomething View Post
                                              View college basketball like playing an old classic Nintendo video game: Mike Tyson's Punch-Out.

Winning the regular season is like beating Bald Bull...good progress, you can feel great about yourself, but that's not nearly enough once you get used to it. Winning the regular season and Pac12 tourney is like getting past Mr Sandman. Now you're getting somewhere!

However, it is really frustrating if you do it over and over but can't beat Super Macho Man (getting to Final Four), yet alone get to face Mike Tyson (national champion). That's Arizona in a nutshell. We beat Mike Tyson in 1997 and got to play him again a few years later, but since then we have trouble getting to play Super Macho Man.

That's the relative frustration of the fan base, the video game progression and perceived backtracking. Compare that to ASU, which hasn't beaten Glass Joe in years and is suddenly getting past King Hippo...they are excited about the progress, where we'd be on suicide watch if the roles were reversed.

I enjoy winning the Pac12 regular season, even more winning the Pac12 tourney, but I confess I do tend to live a bit more for that March Madness and the chance to plant a fist on Mike Tyson's kisser.
                                              All good things come to an end. The day will come that U of A hoop fans will be forced to remember the "good old days" when they used to make the dance, bur now struggle to finish the season in the top half of the conference. When those days come, and they will, just making the dance will be a cause for celebration. As a fan base--we're spoiled.

Comment

I see both sides of the conversation. Each year we get our hopes up and have high expectations of getting to a FF and just don't. After the disappointment and frustration I get ready for next year. At least we are always in the mix. We could be Illinois. In the same state as Chicago that produces so many players and never get any good recruits. Irrelevant for the last 10 years or more

Comment

What? That is crazy. Don't get me wrong, I really really really really want to make a Final Four, but you do realize there are 2 games after that and the National Championship is the goal? Do you know how many wins would have to turn into losses to sacrifice 15 conference titles? Not to mention the pride that comes with absolutely owning the conference. You want to give that up for 1 win that still leaves us not the champions? I think if you made that trade you would find yourself very sad indeed.

And also, this isn't pointed at you Deb, because I see this from just about everybody here, but I never understand the dissonance that comes with the mentality that the postseason is the only thing that matters, then going insane every time we lose a regular season game. Let's face it, regular season games matter to us, we live and die with the team. The fact that 21-6 is a disappointment means we are really spoiled with our records. We have a level of consistency that all but about 8 programs would die for.

Comment

I would like to win every game from now on.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X