Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game Thread: Utah - Sat 01/27 - 3:30pm (MST)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Thread: Utah - Sat 01/27 - 3:30pm (MST)

Click image for larger version

Name:	0127-sat-Utah.png
Views:	1
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	10004
    Who: Utah Utes
    When: Saturday - January 27th, 2018 – 3:30pm (MST)
    Watch:
    Listen: https://tunein.com/radio/Arizona-IMG...twork-s206504/
    Live Stats http://www.arizonawildcats.com/news/...210276803.aspx
    Misc: Follow Bear Down Central on twitter (@BearDownCentral) and facebook.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 10.27.50 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	10005

Crazy how their SOS is 30 spots higher than Arizona...yet we are waaaaaaay ahead in NCSOS.

I guess our ranking will continue to rise as we play the SoCal schools (and the struggling Hurleys again) later in the P12 season.

Barefield was an absolute monster last night. He can shoot from anywhere.

Comment

SOS and RPI are pretty flawed, but I suppose that's the problem with attempting to gauge strength of a team on day 1 with exits and new entrants. So long as we post Ws, it will all be fine. Consistent effort/focus is the only issue that really concerns me there.

Comment

Very true. I was just thinking ahead for seeding purposes. Assuming we beat Utah, it will take us two full months to finally get respect back for the three game losing streak...and return to the Top-10.

Comment

I strongly support the Cats and have done so since 1982 as a ticket holder. That said, this year's team is not a top ten team when it can almost never stop the ball going to the basket. We gave up 69% shooting last night to a substandard Colorado team in the second half. Unless our Cats get their act together, play with some passion on defense, we will continue to struggle against most teams. Ken Pom has us at 22nd to 24th in his ratings and based on having been to all the home games and some road games I think that is about right. Can we be better. Yes. But we have a long way to go with only 10 games left in the regular season.

Comment

Miller keeps talking about the team just needs to keep working on getting better. I do not see it happening. The team seems to have plateaued and what we see is what we are going to get from here on out.

Now, does that mean they can't get to the Final Four? No, they have enough to get there considering how unpredictable college basketball has been this season. It is just I could also see them losing in the first round to a double digit seed. I wish I wasn't so pessimistic about this team but there it is.

Comment

Originally posted by SCDave View Post
              Miller keeps talking about the team just needs to keep working on getting better. I do not see it happening. The team seems to have plateaued and what we see is what we are going to get from here on out.

Now, does that mean they can't get to the Final Four? No, they have enough to get there considering how unpredictable college basketball has been this season. It is just I could also see them losing in the first round to a double digit seed. I wish I wasn't so pessimistic about this team but there it is.
              Pros: This team is pretty clutch down the stretch and knows how to win close games. Obviously crucial in March.

Cons: Bad defense is going to make every game after the first round a struggle. If we have an off night offensively, our clutchness won't matter because we will probably not be close enough to win it.

Comment

This team has the offensive flow of an 80 year old man with prostrate issues.
                This team also has more defensive holes than a block of swiss cheese with rats gnawing at it.
                To top it all off Miller is sweating through 3 shirts not just 2 and is it just me or does Lorenzo look like he's been drinking Robitussin instead of water for the last ten years or so...?
                In any case we'll probably see a FF come out of this mess because why not....

Comment

I guess whether you describe it as a prostrate old man or a prostate ridden old man running the offense It speaks volumes about how poor th offense can look at times

Comment

Went to look what Utah was saying about the game today and spotted this about 3.2% beer. While other states debate whether to legalize weed, Utah is worried about selling real beer next to food?
                    For this alone they deserve to get beat tonight

https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...hns-are-split/

And, moving on, an article about their 7 footer. He may find it a little more difficult against Ayton than against ASwhoos post players.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...n-are-up-next/

Also, I didn't know we only lead the series 32-29.
                    Last edited by Wildcat Dad; 01-27-2018, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcat View Post
                      I strongly support the Cats and have done so since 1982 as a ticket holder. That said, this year's team is not a top ten team when it can almost never stop the ball going to the basket. We gave up 69% shooting last night to a substandard Colorado team in the second half. Unless our Cats get their act together, play with some passion on defense, we will continue to struggle against most teams. Ken Pom has us at 22nd to 24th in his ratings and based on having been to all the home games and some road games I think that is about right. Can we be better. Yes. But we have a long way to go with only 10 games left in the regular season.
                      I hear what you’re saying but honestly I can’t think of ten teams in the country who have done it better... It’s been such a weird year where almost all the top teams have bad losses and have had stretches they have looked really bad. You look at the KenPom rankings and usually only teams with top 20 rankings for both offense and defense have a shot at the title... That is just Purdue, Michigan State and North Carolina this year. 3 teams.
                      Every other team in the country has clear flaws.

I think its short-sighted to say we are a long way off from a top ten team

Comment

This a the first year our FT shooting has been this consistent.

I feel better about close games...and it likely gives the team confidence in March because there are NO dominant teams in college basketball.

Dont count out yet...

Comment

If we can get through the USC game without losing we'll probably find ourselves ranked #10 or better, just based on how unstable the top 10 has been. We're currently slated a 4 seed and by then would be a 3 seed...that feels about right.

That said, I still expect us to pick up another loss somewhere before Pac12 tourney...but probably not more than 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Applequest View Post

Pros: This team is pretty clutch down the stretch and knows how to win close games. Obviously crucial in March.

Cons: Bad defense is going to make every game after the first round a struggle. If we have an off night offensively, our clutchness won't matter because we will probably not be close enough to win it.
                            It's safe to say that Miller no longer teaches pack line defense or doesn't enforce it. When you have 3 guys playing defense outside the 3pt line you are no longer playing pack line and are playing traditional full deny defense instead. It's sad to see this much talent play so poorly on D. Watching Virginia play true pack line D vs duke and holding them 30 points below their avg was a thing of beauty.

Comment

Originally posted by Thecatsmeow View Post

It's safe to say that Miller no longer teaches pack line defense or doesn't enforce it. When you have 3 guys playing defense outside the 3pt line you are no longer playing pack line and are playing traditional full deny defense instead. It's sad to see this much talent play so poorly on D. Watching Virginia play true pack line D vs duke and holding them 30 points below their avg was a thing of beauty.
                              And to think that used to be us.

And when was the last time we had a center (yes I know Ayton plays PF but he's really a center) adequately guard point guards?

This year we have 2 1/2 starters (DeAndre and Rawle and PJC gets the 1/2) that play good defense and 2 that really don't (Zo and Dusan), three if Smith is included as a starter. Most of the new guys have the potential to become good defensive players (Akot, Brandon, Lee, maybe Smith) but each of them will have to work really hard to get there. I hope they can get there, and as soon as next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X